Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Toastmaster Project 1 - Ice breaker

I, Me and Myself

How many of you have heard of Cuddalore ?
What is it famous for ? Beaches ? Close to Pondicherry ? the shampoo in a sachet ? Yes, all this and a kind, noble woman called Latha ! Yes, ......

Mr. Toastmaster, fellow toastmasters and my dear friends,

I dream is to become
Ø An inspired entrepreneur (Low voice)
Ø An admired leader (Soft but assertive)
Ø A powerful communicator (Loud)
Ø A knowledgeable person (Low and humble)
Ø But above all, a kind hearted individual (Low to emphasize that it is an innermost desire)

This dream girl was brought up in a township which was well known for its black coal and power supply. My father Ramanathan was an accountant in Neyveli Lignite Corporation and mother Saraswathy a homemaker. I have a caring elder sister Abiramasundari.

My school journey started at St Joseph convent. I was given a royal treatment; my school sent a bus that picked me up right at my doorstep and dropped me back at home. I had a full attendance in school. Though I was not studious, I was regular in completing my home works. My parents had no complain raised by my teachers.

I had a great interest in bringing up the garden along with my grandmother. Synonymous to my name, I had my part in growing up creepers, flowering plants and trees. Games, attending Hindi classes, learning music were some of my other passions. Cycling to school, I enjoyed being the first one to knock at my friends house to pick them up. Known for my sincerity and hard work, my parents had no issues with me, except that they found me very picky in understanding the traditional customs.

Holidays were more interesting in solving math problems, gossiping with my mother and
sister and eating seven to ten mangoes per day by having them fresh on trees.

Even though I secured an aggregate of 93 %, I could not get into Engineering. I studied applied sciences, in Government College of Technology, Coimbatore and proceeded with my post graduation in Bharathiar University. I emerged as one of the top five candidates in studies and first in naughtiness.

Completing my masters, I joined Mastek Limited, SEEPZ Mumbai as a software engineer. My friends and I had a lovely time eating Gujarati Dhokla’s, Maharastra’s Puri - Srikand, Pani puri at Juhu, cut mangoes in Haziali, Mahalakshmi. I became a travel bug. I tried my level best to reach all corners of Bombay and Pune. Travel taught me a lot. I tend to go faster in my ways when my well wishers support me. Aggressively, I took up my first on site trip in December when the temperature in US was negative. I turned this negative to churn it into a positive – My first award.

My communication with machines improved drastically but I had failed with humans. I tried my level best to improve my relationship traits. Visiting libraries, reading books, enacting situations and constant assessments helped me a lot. However my social skills which I lost somewhere in the middle was found in Toastmasters. My toastmaster’s journey taught me to Plan, to communicate, to lead, and above all take risks and win.

The best part of the experience is I have made numerous friends, who are ever willing to help.


Climbing to the top demands strength, whether it is to the top of Mount Everest or to the top of your career says Dr. Abdul Kalam. I have tried to live by it.

Thank you.

Mr. Toastmaster.

No comments: