Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Divisional Level Speech Contest - 2006

Power of LOVE

Born in Albania the mother of love destined to serve the poorest of the poor visited India. When she was walking on the roads of Calcutta, she found a woman was half eaten up by rats and ants. She took her to the hospital, persuaded to take care of her. She then pleaded the government for a place were she could take care of dying destitute. Thus she formed the Nirmal Hirudayala the home for dying destitute.

Honorable judges, Madam Toastmaster, my dear friends

She was none other than Mother Teresa who lead a life of love.

Love never sees anything as impossible.

Staying in a small township, I had been showered with lots of love and affection in family. I belong to a lower middle income family. My father started losing his right eye sight when he was 45 years old, due to acute glaucoma. Doctors demanded an immediate operation to be done to save his left eye. The operation was estimated to cost around a lakh. My mother stood confused and grief stricken not to know what to do. Quickly, our neighbor, Mr. Gopal Krishnan made the necessary arrangements for the operation at besant eye hospital in Chennai. They also took care of me. The love which they showered that day in 1981 Nov did not just touch my heart but left a sweet feeling of Love in our family.

Teresa said “I have never found any true, deep inner happiness outside the context of Love. Love ( Of god and others) and real inner joy has been inseparable for me. Loving one another is what life is all about.”

I was returning back from USA. The flight travel was around 36 hours with a break of 5 hours in Amsterdam. A Pakistani women, around 70 years boarded the flight along with me. She was bent and hardly could walk straight. Slowly she came near me and asked, “Can you please help me?” I could sense a grief in her voice. I arranged for a wheelchair. On boarding the flight, I took the seat next to her. Then on till I reached Amsterdam, I stayed with her. Alighting at Amsterdam, I helped her to get her connecting Pakistan flight. On bidding a final bye, she said “Thank you ” and she broke down. “You look like my daughter. I lost her few days back. But God is kind to find someone to help me. I was staying my daughter in US. Now, I am now returning to my sons house in Pakistan. As he could not offer a ticket, I had to come alone. May God Bless you. ”

Teresa defined “God is love”
Love means

Ö Patience
Ö Kindness
Ö Gentleness
Ö Tolerance
Ö Endurance
Ö Generosity
Ö Assuming the best intentions
Ö Giving the benefit of the doubt

A 10th standard boy kaushik, did not having enough money to pay his exam fees. He decided collect going house to house. He wrote an appeal and started his collection request. He met my friend, Krishnan, explained his situation. Krishnan quickly understood the thirst for the poor boy to study. He sponsored not only his 10th standard exam, but his graduation too. On getting a job, he met Krishan to return his money. Krishnan said, “Great Kaushik. I am proud of you. Each young boy on his interest can find his way to achieve what he wants. Alternatively, I request you to find a needy and sponsor his studies. That is the way to return my money.”

My dear friends, there is a massive(Huge) hunger for love. We all experience that in our lives - the pain, the loneliness. We must have the courage to recognize it. You may have right in your own family. Find them. Love them. Put your love for them in living action. For in loving them, you are loving God Himself.

Let us more and more insist on raising funds. Funds of love, funds of kindness, funds of understanding, funds of peace. Money will come if we seek first the Kingdom of God.


Thank You

Mr. Toastmaster

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Latha,

Just stepped in today ! Howcome you haven't written anyhthing after this post ?

Hope more of us Smedz use this medium often !

cheers
CK
http://chendilkumar.blogspot.com