Sunday, December 12, 2010

Speak out, Express, Voice Out

Speak out, Express, Voice Out

Trembling, mumbling and Rumbling…... My Gods to whom I pray did not have any sympathy to help me. My parents could not be with me. My friends for the first time were sitting across to me. I had the toughest job with no help.
I was on stage.. 7 years back to talk on a table topic
Half foot high platform had more amperes of the current than a live wire. There was no switch to put it off. I had to stay on.
With trouble, I spelt “ My name is LATHA”.
I smiled.
I thanked the Red card and returned back to my seat.
What I got in return was a standing ovation.
Mr. Toastmaster, Fellow Toastmasters and Welcome guests,
Humans have the precious tool. The Power to speak, Power to express, Power to Voice out.
I have misused or missed to use the Power to speak, Power to express and power to voice out.
Let me elaborate on those.
I went to a doctor after falling down from cycle. The doctor prescribed a TT injection and a bandage after cleaning. I said, Doctor, I am allergic to injection. Please give me tablets. He added some vitamin tablets and later said, “I will ask the nurse to give you the injection softly. Be here till I finish my patients” and he continued. I had to wait. Later he accompanied me to the nurses cabin and said, TT to be given. After the injection ask her to stay back for 3 hours so that we can check if there are any after effects.
Hm… I cursed myself. I could have better accepted the injection. My lie did not get rid of the injection. Instead made me stay back for 3 hours in the room which had a pungent smell of Phenol. I learnt that If I further talk, I better be aware of after effects. On another occasion, when I had the urgent pressure of nature call, I feared to spell it out. Result later was very embarrassing.
Bitter experiences emphasized me to “Speak out” and feel better. What to speak out ? “ The Truth, The need , The want but not The Lie, The assumption, The gossip”
Does speaking out ensures that you Express yourself. Let’s look back to some examples in history where People expressed themselves while speaking out.
"In your hands, my dissatisfied fellow countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The government will not assail you.... You have no oath registered in Heaven to destroy the government, while I shall have the most solemn one to preserve, protect and defend it."
Abraham Lincon warned the South in his Inaugural Address. He expressed his thoughts about his countrymen on the civil war. He added on the same to express himself as the person to preserve, protect and defend it.
The spirit that guided him was clearly that of his Second Inaugural Address, now inscribed on one wall of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D. C.: "With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds.... "
Lincon clearly expresses on working towards the goal, he needs peoples help. Unfortunately, he was assassinated.
“I Have a Dream” speech by Martin Luther king clearly expresses his thoughts on racial equality and end of discrimination.
Leaders use the power to express themselves and guide us.
If Power to speak right by individuals are followed, Power to express is used by leaders to gain followers to achieve task, then what is Power to Voice out.
Let’s look back to the life of Gandhi.
Gandhi came back from South Africa. The thought to attain freedom was seeded strong. He spoke out to British. He expressed to Indians. Not much of help. He finally voiced out. How???
He voiced out through his actions. He voiced out by expressing and following ahimsa. He dressed himself with a dhoti. He spoke the truth. He was fearless but courageous. His soft and harmless actions created fear in the minds of British. He was calm, cool and believed in himself. He spoke, he expressed, He followed. He was determined not to leave it till he achieved it. Thus Gandhi voiced out on freedom and ensured that we achieved it.
Looking back myself, I had learnt to speak when I was born. I learnt to speak better now from toastmasters. I expressed my feelings during the happy and sad moments much to my desire. Now, I learnt how to express my feelings to lead.
This has helped me in
• Getting more friends rather than neighbors
• Getting friendly guides than advisers
• Helping hand in my path to success rather than hurting words in my path to success
• Smiles rather than cries
I feel motivated, never let down. I hear my friend and mentor saying
“Life once was very challenging, except on Wednesdays as Toastmasters always kept me stay up. Now Life is nothing by communicating with ease. Success thru communication is the winning edge”.
Toastmasters Do you want to Speak out, Do you need to express, Do you need to Voice out,
Use Toastmasters to practice and win.
Mr. Toastmaster.``

No comments: