Monday, August 3, 2009

I Know everything

“I know everything. Just take it as is. I can get it done in this period by sonia.” said Mr. Ambu a senior manager of a company. His juniors were not just confused, but also irritated as their manager snubbed them in front of the other department managers.
Sonia a new entrant to the office was shocked. She was brought up in a middle income group family. Her parents ensured that she incorporated respect in her communications. In return they too followed the same. She practiced the same in school, college and now in her job, she could hardly digest the fact of her manager snubbing her in front of people. She just walked to the rest room where she could just have her space. She cried aloud, washed her face when Sreeja joined her. Finally, she got out and drank three cups of water.
She went back home and again could not digest the fact that she was just ripped in front of people. She shared this with her parents.” Ma, I am the person who is working on it. I know the product and the work. I feel bad on hearing those words from my manager.”
Her mother calm’s her down and says, “ Sonia, “ I feel you have to tell this to your manager. However, you cannot be direct as I feel he would not have known the impact. Many people are more direct and curt in communication as they talk to computers and machines. People may not have the human touch. Find a way in which you will talk to him personally about this. Also, I do not want you to carry it in your heart. Communicate , but in a way in which he could get your feelings”.
Sonia felt good. She did not forget her mother’s words. She was also wondering as to how to communicate. Finally she got up to meet her manager. She saw that he was sitting alone reading his mails. She excused herself and said, “ Sir, I wish share what I felt yesterday after the meeting. I felt that I was ripped off by your words. But after your meet, Sreeja, the other manager contacted me. She analyzed the scenario and accepted that this wasn’t possible. I hope that she would have communicated that to you.”
Mr. Ambu smiled. “I am sorry Sonia. My thought that I know everything made me speak like that. When Sreeja returned to me on the same yesterday, I understood that I have overlooked on certain points. I wish I apologize to all.” Sonia smiled back and left the room.
Sonia, was happy that she could create an open atmosphere, to communicate her feelings. Ambu, charted out a plan to correct himself. He arranged for open discussions, where he shared his views and discussed them openly. This helped his team plan their work and achieve the goal. The Oneness feeling kept the team motivated which yielded laurels for the company.
MORAL OF THE STORY: “Communication can make or break relationships. Positive and open communication can help in building relationships.”

No comments: