Friday, June 19, 2009

Which One Am I - Version .001

Which One Am I?
Theories and books state that there are 3 types of learners.
· Listening learners
· Seeing / observing learners
· Touch / experience learners
Which one am I?
Mr. Toastmaster, Fellow toastmasters and my dear friends,
It was a chilly evening. I was sitting on the swing and gossiping with my mother. The sun was trying to kiss the moon , when the wrestling rain drops tried its best to cover it. My mother went to the back yard and lit the wood to make dosa’s. Engrossed in the peaceful weather, I tried to warm myself sitting next to the lit wood. My mother paced the tawa on the fire. She filled the ladle upto the 3/4 level with Dosa batter. She gently poured the batter onto the center of the pan. She then spread it on the tawa in perfect circles to form a thin film. Dosa after Dosa , she repeated the same and I could see Dosa’s of same shape, size and thickness in the collection plate. It reminded me of my progress card with ‘0’s.
“ Mom… You must have been a teacher before. You really put good circular zeros. Your Dosa’s are the best examples of the same”
She smiled. “ Why don’t you learn communication from Dosa. See The point you want to make is the batter. The batter is picked by ladle and placed on tawa and spread equally to a thin film. I.e. the point is elaborated with anecdotes and such that every body can break it, take it and digest it. Do not overstress a point as it will be disagreeable like a blackened dosa”
I starred … If we keep on observing what we do, we can expect books on burgers to hit our book stalls soon.
A 100 i.e. centum in academics tastes delicious. A Perfect zero in Dosa tastes delicious.
Looking back, I found that I am neither an observer nor a listener. Doubt arose that if I am an experience learner.?
Compromise plays a major role in maintaining relationships.

No comments: