Monday, December 29, 2008

Project 10 : Be the change - Draft version

Project 10 : Be the change

What comes to your mind when I say diwali?

What comes to your mind when I say Christmas?

What comes to your mind when I say New year?

Mr. Toastmaster, Fellow Toastmasters and guests.

The new year is just round the corner. I am sure each one of us will have our resolutions to take!!!???

How many of us have made a new year resolution at the beginning of this year? 2008

Have we tracked them to check if we have achieved it? At least started it?
A recent research done in United states of America says that 52% of participants in a Resolution study were confident of success with their goals. However, 12% of them actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22% more than that of others when they engaged in goal setting. A system where small measurable goals are used (lose a kilogram a week, instead of saying "lose weight") was set by participants, women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.
Each one of us here would have taken resolutions and achieved them. I wish to quote a person whom in out midst, from our club, took a resolution to reach the top of Everest. We all could see that she has been successful in her resolution. I wish to share the 2 main learning I learnt from Shrilatha in her journey as president for past 6 months.
1. Single Minded Focus – i.e. Spending time, effort and imagination to work on the committed task.
2. Sharing with friends i.e. likeminded people – This helps in achieving a common vision
While Shrilatha may normally come across as a carefree person, she strongly displayed these two factors: single minded focus and sharing it with friends.
India's first-ever individual Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra took a resolution amidst press reporters on his return to India that he would find energy and motivation to repeat his feat again and hold it on for a while.
This year I took a resolution to spend more time with family and friends and enjoy life. I decided to make it public by registering in Keith’s website. I logged in and entered the resolution. The portal was designed intelligently that it tried to details on how resolutions will be turned to reality and not left as a fantasy. I took it as a challenge and started thinking. I finally came to some tangible activities which I could measure.
Calm down in temper, find ways to get out of it. Ensure good relationship with friends and family.
Spend weekends and holidays at home, avoid business work.

What a magic it was..

I have been successful in my journey to date.

Let me share an instance in these lines.
Recently I attended a family gathering. I wished my aunt whom I am seeing almost after an year.
“Aah.. You found your way now and had time to come down. Not bad that I am still in your mind.” My mother who was with me did not know what to answer as it was most embarrassing.
I did miss to meet her when she lost her daughter in august. She had been hospitalized for some time. I did make calls to enquire her health. I could not meet her personally.
Aloud I replied, “Yes. Though the road leading to Ramamurthy Nagar has lot of diversions and potholes, I did find the way this time. I ensured not to disturb you by my calls asking for directions”. I sat next to her and added “ I drove 10 Kms at one stretch in 20 minutes. I am a great driver. Isn’t it ?”
Calmness prevailed. I smiled and started boasting my driving skills, when my aunt interrupted, “Calm down. You are yet to drive back home.” With laughter, all of us settled down and we had our conversation on as usual.

I was happy to have changed myself. I was happy to note my words like fireballs did not hurt others. In deed mended the relationship.


If you wanted support to achieve your dream, you need to share your resolutions. I had completed project 9 in Nov 2006. I had been dreaming to complete my project 10 for more than a year. I tried doing a self assessment and repeated my speeches again and again to gain confidence. When I could sense my confidence, I started to draft my speech 10. I shared my resolution to complete my CC by this year to my mentor. It was with his help, I am here today standing before you.
Sharing helps in providing support to achieve your goals.

My dear friends, I could just think of Chendil’s quote here.
If you wanted to go fast, go alone. If you wanted to go far, go together.

1. If you wanted to go fast, Go alone – Single minded focus
2. If you wanted to go far, go together – Share your resolutions and get forward

We are all here to be great leaders. Leaders create a positive change. To create the change, we have to be a part of change. Take your resolution today.

Do you want to Be the change you want to see?

Mr. Toastmaster

No comments: