Monday, December 29, 2008

Dream to be a Human being - Released in Reverberations 08 Soviener

Dream to be a Human being
By Ramanathan Latha (Smedley Speaker Society – Bangalore)

“Who would like to talk on the topic My dream?”

The chaotic hall had a sudden silence. Even a drop pin was heard by all 100 of us in the room.

“Go, Go… Can’t you just talk of your dream? You have many. ” my inner voice murmured. I lifted my hand without even realizing the conflict between my heart and my mind. The applause accompanied me till the dais. Even before I could realize what was happening, I was there behind a mike.

“Good Evening friends!....” My voice withered. My hands shivered. Sweating, Moving my hands and legs to get over the discomfort, cursing myself for coming up the dais…. All made the packed audience restless. The hall was no more silent.
“ My dream is to become a Speaker, A politician, a Human being” I raised my voice. Echo made me pause for a second. “ I fear of my future. Security cannot be assured. Once I become a Politician, i.e President, I will have bodyguards to guard me. So , I wish I were a politician. However, to become a politician, I have to start speaking. This is was I am trying today”
“Enough of blabbering” uttered my inner voice.
But, How do I get down. I was helpless. I could not cry. I could not shout. Now, I started to think for words to speak, to conclude. My mind was blank and tumbled, trembled and finally looked around. Quickly, I smiled and tried to get down. I chilled down like ice and returned back to my seat. Announcement of a break made me happy. I tried to move out.
“ It was a great speech. I like your dream. You are trying to get what you want. Work on your dream. Do not stop” An unknown man in front of me.
With a smile I tried to get away.
“Congratulations. Every dream should have a beginning. So does yours. Start speaking. I like the innocence” A heavy voice stopped me. Fearing to look back, I stood still. Slowly I tried to move towards the rest room.
“ Great voice. I like your boldness. Would you like to get rid of fear while speaking in public, join toastmasters.” A sweet voice welcomed me to turn back. Sparkling eyes, confident look, empathy captured my heart.

I started feeling uncomfortable. I felt that I made a fool of myself. My heart started beating fast. I returned back home and buried myself in my bed.When I woke up the next day, I felt relieved. I felt happy. I joined the toastmasters club. I started learning the nuances of speaking. I learnt to express my feelings. I learnt to network.
Toastmasters, taught me to Talk, to Open up, Acquire Skills, Try out, Master an act, Accept criticism, Stand up, Take over, Express views, savor Rewards and Shine. I started to enjoy myself. I learnt to give importance to my dream and myself. I learnt to respect others, their feelings. I was able to correct myself easily. My anger just vanished. My confidence grew.
All in all I started to be a human being.

No comments: