Monday, October 18, 2010

Struggle to make people laugh

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ~ Alvin Toffler
Mr. Toastmaster, Fellow TM and Welcome guests
My love to become a humorous speaker was unstoppable. I started to pen down the speech, assumed that I will get people to laugh and went ahead and delivered.
Audience waited for that moment to burst. They listened with patience and perseverance. They tried hard to laugh. But NO…. 7 minutes over and I had to come back to my seat.
Dejected and De-motivated I did not stop. “How can I become a humorous speaker chendil?” is one constant question which I asked day in and out. “Keep trying … “was the regular answer.
I read websites, humor articles, quotes.. Nothing did work out for me.
I heard people telling, “Success won’t go to her head”. For which the other nodded and said “How could it? She’s never had any”
I remembered the Newton’s Third law…
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
I understood it as that if I am serious, audience is supposed to laugh.
I became serious when I delivered my humorous speech. It looked as a yet another politician speech with no humor.
Every critic seeded positivity in my mind. “I can, I will make people laugh” –thought became prominent.
As the saying goes, “When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane”, I considered I was in the right path as all feedback were against me. All improvement suggestions increased my desire to work hard on humor as it was not in my way.
However, the job to make people laugh requires a few skills which I lack. I started working without direction. Sooner I got 3 golden rules from CK
Rule Number one – Try One liners
Where else can I get people to stand and applaud other than Toastmasters?
I thought, library is the best place to improve knowledge. Fact is that it improves relationships too.Safe, Calm place isn’t it with no disturbance.

Rule Number two – Compare and contrast
When I delivered my earlier humorous speeches, I did look like a lion ready to attack. Audience reciprocated their fear thru silence.
Rule Number three – Use of triad
I was rumbled, rolled and roasted on hearing CK speak. I grill it better.
The three rules looked easy. However, I still stood firm on serious speech. I work hard, harder than earlier. Sleepless nights, days assuming no pain is no gain. Later, I just thought to relax.
I quickly wanted to test my Humor quotient. I logged on to the natural-Humor-medicene.com and attended the Quiz.
With a score of 33 I was diagnosed as follows by Cliff Kuhn, M.D.
You are a Humor Apprentice - Not bad, but not good either. Although you know what humor is, you're not using in regularly enough to help you become happier, healthier, and more successful. But the good news is...you're sitting on top of an untapped gold mine of humor!
Thank you for taking the humor quiz. Just the fact that you participated shows that you're interested in humor and lightness. But, while your score range was not the lowest possible, I am worried about you based upon your low score.
If you haven't started experiencing the repercussions of your elevated stress levels, I'm afraid you soon will.
Here is just some of what you can expect without a fairly rapid change in your focus:
• Weight gain
• Continued self-doubts
• Unexplainable fear
• Frustration
• Headaches
• Impatience
• Forgetfulness
• Hopelessness
I learnt, laughing is a Powerful Natural Medicine to Undo Years of Stress Damage to Your Mind, Body, and Spirit.
If you wanted to make people laugh, Please start your struggle today.

No comments: